Excursion to the Demilitarised Zone in Hue
The Demilitarised Zone (DMZ) was the site of some of the fiercest and bloodiest battles during the American War and a tour through this historic region is an informative glimpse in to the war time history. From Hue travel north to visit underground tunnels and bunkers, cross infamous battle sites, and pass tranquil villages as you discover the DMZ.
- 0800: depart from your hotel in Hue. Drive north and stop at La Vang Cathedral (which despite its years of turmoil remains an important pilgrimage site for Vietnam’s Catholics).
- Carry on to what is left of Quang Tri Citadel, where in 1972 a fierce battle raged for 81 days, visit the museum where photographs, war remnants and artillery can be seen.
- Continue up Highway 1 across the Hien Luong Bridge, and over the Ben Hai River which demarcated North and South Vietnam, this area saw some of the heaviest fighting during the war.
- Doc Mieu Firebase, which lies just north of here, played a pivotal role in the South's defence and for a while, this was the command post for calling in airstrikes along the Ho Chi Minh Trail.
- The journey from here to Vinh Moc Tunnels is scenic after you leave the main highway, pass through quaint villages and skirt along Cua Tung Beach.
- The village of Vinh Moc found itself tragically positioned in one of the most heavily bombed areas of Vietnam. In order to escape this bombardment, the villagers constructed approximately 2.8 km of underground tunnels which they used as a refuge to survive the bombings. Three hundred people lived intermittently in the tunnels from 1966 to 1971.
- From Vinh Moc drive to Truong Son National Cemetery where the remains of some 15,000 Vietnamese soldiers and civilians have been laid to rest, sadly many tombstones bear no name. (L)
- Meals as mentioned (B= Breakfast, L= Lunch, D= Dinner)
- English or French speaking guide (for other languages supplements apply)
- Tours and transfers as mentioned by private air conditioned vehicle
- Entrance fees for mentioned visits
- Other meals than mentioned
- Other services than mentioned
- International and domestic Flights
- Laundry, telephone calls and expenditure of a personal nature
- Tips, Travel insurance