A day cycling to Gia Long Emperor’s Tomb in Hue
Discover the hidden back roads of Hue by bicycle on this captivating day trip. Meander country roads passing craft villages, countless shrines and pagodas, ancient tombs of past kings and taking a local ferryboat across the Perfume River with the locals. A moderate level of fitness is required for this day trip however most of the terrain is flat.
- Depart central Hue at 0830 and ride through the centre of town along Le Loi Street past the impressive French built Quoc Hoc High School. There are many important statesmen of Vietnam attended, including the father figure of the country Ho Chi Minh.
- Continue through the Catholic Quarter of the city and pat the imposing Phu Cam Church where a local country style market takes place each day.
- Ride on to Quoc An pagoda, one of the oldest Buddhist foundations in central Vietnam which is typical of the Mahayana sect in Hue, visit at a village kindergarten at this place.
- Follow country lanes into the countryside where Buddhist pagodas and shrines can be seen.
- Continue towards Khai Dinh Tomb which is well known for its intricate mosaic tiles and the European influenced Oriental design.
- After visiting the tomb, ride to the craft village of Da Khe which specializes in traditional bamboo handicrafts. From here, take a short trip by boat across a reservoir for the 2km ride to Gia Long tomb which is well known for its distinctive architecture and stunning, natural setting.
- Leave the tomb and cycle along the northern bank of the Perfume River among green, aged pine trees then board a local ferry to the other side of the river.
- Continue to the tomb of King Thieu Tri, the third king of the Nguyen Dynasty and the luckiest of the dynasty since he inherited a stable and strong administration from the previous ruler King Minh Mang.
- Peddle onto Tu Duc’s Tomb. This king was a learned poet and chose an asymmetrical, romantic architectural style for his last resting place.
- From this tomb ride to nearby villages where locals specialize in incense stick making and bronze casting before returning to Hue. (L)
(Ride up to 40km)
- Meals as mentioned in the itinerary (B= Breakfast, L= Lunch, D= Dinner)
- English speaking biking guide, first-aid qualified
- Quality Trek Mountain bikes with helmets
- Entrance fees for all visits as mentioned in the itinerary
- Boat trips as mentioned in the itinerary
- Other meals than mentioned.
- Other services than mentioned.
- International and Domestic Flights.
- Laundry, telephone calls and expenditure of a personal nature.
- Tips, Travel insurance.
- We strongly recommend the purchase of travel insurance (covering emergency medical evacuation) for trips to Vietnam.
- Prices are valid 30 days from date of offer. Past this date price and conditions may be readjusted.
- The cost of air tickets is subject to change with